HDD to USB Adapter
Helpful Images Courtesy of ifixit.com
Step 1: Un-screw everything
Step 2: Open it up
Step 3: Remove the power plug
Step 4: Un-screw the HDD lockdown
Step 5: Un-plug the data connector
Step 6: Plug it into the Adapter
Data from a Mac Laptop:
- Only connects to a Mac device. If you connect it to a Windows Machine chances are it will not be visible.
- Secondly, to gain the most speed out of your drive you should use the Thunderbolt connector as most Mac Devices don’t support USB 3.0 yet.
Data From a PC: (To a Mac)
- You can read and write to PC drives.
- The bare drive will be READ-ONLY.
- To fix that you must reformat that Bare Drive after ALL FILES HAVE BEEN REMOVED
- We recommend that you copy it to a PC first then to a Mac
Data From a PC: (To a PC)
Easy as Pie. No Issues At All!
Formatting Hard Drives
Formatting Hard Drives on a Mac
- Search in Spotlight “Disk Utility”.
- Select the hard drive from the left hand side then press erase.
- In the options below, choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) for best compatibility within Mac devices.
- Finish formatting by naming, Pressing Erase Below ,and you’re finished.
Formatting Hard Drives on a PC
- Go to My Computers.
- Right click on the Hard Drive and select “Format”.
- Don’t change any settings. Un-checking Quick Format may be a better decision if you have time to give.